The Wireless Sensor Applied Research Centre is seeking to recruit a highly motivated Research Engineer to undertake research and design work in the development of ultra low-power protocols and RF devices for deployment in body area networks (BANs) and other Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) applications. The lab’s focus is on the design, simulation and implementation of body area networks and including RF devices, RF performance on and around the body, and the development of ultra low power communication protocols.
The successful applicant will join an experienced and growing team who have been delivering innovative wireless solutions to industry for over 10 years.
Applicants must have an honours degree, or higher, Electronic Engineering or in a related discipline. However, a PhD would be desirable. It is essential that the candidate has at least three years post-graduate experience in research or industry. A record of research publication in quality conferences and journals s desirable. Experience in a number of the following domains is desirable:
- RF/microwave circuit and system design, simulation and implementation; preferably with low-power wireless devices
- Experience of RF design/simulation tool such as Ansys or CST
- Wireless network planning and RF environment characterisation
- RF channel modelling
- Low-power protocols in wireless sensor networks: in particular, knowledge of Internet of Things communication standards is required.
- Postgraduate supervision
- Experience of applying for and winning funding
Key Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Fluent in C/C++
- Understanding of basic engineering principles.
- Excellent technical knowledge, analysis and debug skills within the field of embedded systems
- Highly skilled within design and development activities
- Effective communication skills.
- Research papers to peer-reviewed publication standard
- Ability to work both individually and collaboratively in a team environment
Key duties and responsibilities:
- To engage with industry to develop collaborative research projects.
- Cost estimation of industry research grant proposals and industry direct funded projects.
- To contribute significantly to the development of research proposals in order to secure competitive funding for industry focused research projects, under the direction of the principal investigators
- To assume a role in the design as well as the execution of research projects.
- To conduct and lead a specified programme of research under the supervision and direction of a Principal Investigator
- To support the Principal Investigator and research group in the design and development of the research programme
- To engage in the dissemination of the results of the research, as directed by and with the support of and under the supervision of the Principal Investigators
- To interact closely with postgraduate research students and have an agreed role in supporting these students in their day to day research in conjunction with the supervisor or supervision team
- To conduct administrative and management work associated with the research project
- To engage in financial management of projects.
- Participate in preparation of appropriate project documentation and design reviews to ensure accuracy and adherence to technical requirements.
- Assume responsibility for completing individual project milestones and maintaining schedule, once tasks are assigned.
- Provide technical and schedule estimates for individual design responsibilities on assigned project.
- To report to the Principal Investigators as required.
Salary. €37, 000 to 46,000 p.a. (depending on experience)