The Wireless Sensor Applied Research Centre is seeking to recruit a highly motivated Research Engineer to undertake research and design work in the development of embedded wireless systems and other Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) applications such as the Internet of Things. The lab’s focus is on the design, simulation and implementation of embedded wireless systems.
The successful applicant will join an experienced and growing team who have been delivering innovative wireless solutions to industry for over 10 years.
Applicants must have an honours degree in Electronic, Computer or Telecommunications Engineering or in a related discipline. It is desirable that the candidate has post-graduate experience in research or industry. A record of research publication in quality conferences and journals is also desirable. The following experience is desirable.
- Programming embedded systems including microcontrollers, mobile devices, wireless transceivers
- Internetworking of heterogeneous wireless and mobile devices
- Experience of circuit and PCB design technologies.
Key Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Postgraduate experience in software development.
- Fluent in C/C++
- Real time embedded systems development experience
- Understanding of basic engineering principles.
- Excellent technical knowledge, analysis and debug skills within field of embedded systems
- Effective communication skills.
- Research papers to peer-reviewed publication standard
- Ability to work both individually and collaboratively in a team environment
Key duties and responsibilities:
- To engage with industry to develop collaborative research projects.
- Cost estimation of industry research grant proposals and industry direct funded projects.
- To contribute significantly to the development of research proposals in order to secure competitive funding for industry focused research projects, under the direction of the principal investigators
- To assume a role in the design as well as the execution of research projects.
- To conduct and lead a specified programme of research under the supervision and direction of a Principal Investigator
- To support the Principal Investigator and research group in the design and development of the research programme
- To engage in the dissemination of the results of the research, as directed by and with the support of and under the supervision of the Principal Investigators
- To interact closely with postgraduate research students and have an agreed role in supporting these students in their day to day research in conjunction with the supervisor or supervision team
- To conduct administrative and management work associated with the research project
- To engage in financial management of projects.
- Participate in preparation of appropriate project documentation and design reviews to ensure accuracy and adherence to technical requirements.
- Assume responsibility for completing individual project milestones and maintaining schedule, once tasks are assigned.
- Provide technical and schedule estimates for individual design responsibilities on assigned project.
- To report to the Principal Investigators as required.
Salary: €31,000 to 46,000 p.a. (depending on experience)