Applications are invited for the post of Technology Gateway Business Development Engineer, Wireless Sensor
Applied Research Centre (WiSAR), at the Letterkenny Institute of Technology, as funded under Enterprise Ireland’s
Technology Gateway programme.
Technology Gateway – WiSAR
The Enterprise Ireland funded Wireless Sensor Applied Research (WiSAR) Technology Gateway is an
interdisciplinary centre which provides world class solutions for SME’s and larger organisations across a wide range of sectors. Based at LYIT’s Letterkenny campus, the Gateway offers a range of applied technologies relevant to companies nationally and regionally. The Gateway is a centre of excellence for The Internet of Things, related technologies include:
• Wireless systems
• Embedded software
• Applications software
• Cloud computing
Role of Technology Gateway Business Development Engineer
This is an industry facing technical position for an individual from a software development background. The Business
Development Engineer will be part of the core staff funded under the EI WiSAR Technology Gateway reporting to the Technology Gateway Manager. The successful candidate will be responsible for the promotion of the software and computing expertise in the Gateway to industry, new project pipeline development and project acquisition. The role will also entail project management and occasional hands-on software development.
• Minimum 2:1 honour’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent
• 3+ years’ experience in IT project development, programming, or maintenance
• Experience with the integration of embedded scripting languages and embedded Linux
• A solid understanding of Cloud Computing and Cloud Services that can be incorporated into a solution for SME’s
• Knowledge of Business Information Systems including MIS, SIS & ERP systems
Candidates ideally demonstrate the following:
• Experience of working with clients, managing the client interface, developing and agreeing high quality project
proposals / quotations in response to client requirements
• Experience working with both academic or industrial project partners
• Strong knowledge of information technology research strategies and trends
• Good organizational skills, an ability to plan software projects and to manage technical resources
• Customer relationship management – have a track record of developing, managing and sustaining customer
relationships with IT industry based clients
• Experience of participation in successful inter-disciplinary research programmes
• Excellent team working, interpersonal, communications and presentation skills particularly in relation to
dealing with senior personnel from industry
• Self-starter – ability to work on own initiative within clearly defined guidelines
• Self-motivated, reliable, hard-working with good communication skills
• Knowledge of national research funding mechanisms
• Evidence of proficiency in grant-writing and securing funding
• Marketing/promotional experience including development of relevant promotional materials (such as
brochures, case studies, newsletters, blogs, website content)
The Technology Gateway Business Development Engineer will:
• Act as a point of contact for industry with the applied research activities of the Institute as facilitated through
the Technology Gateway.
• Work closely with the Technology Gateway Manager to develop new partnerships with companies in relevant
sectors in order to initiate industry informed research projects.
• Generate industry related research proposals/ quotes, in conjunction with internal research associates and
• Work closely with research associates to oversee and project manage industry projects from initiation through
to delivery to agreed time scales and standards.
• Deliver on required Enterprise Ireland metrics & any new directions / themes as agreed with the Technology
Gateway Steering Committee.
• Report on a regular basis to the Technology Gateway Manager and on request the VP of Research & Innovation
on the performance of the Gateway.
• Attend networking meetings, provide Technology Gateway Manager with agreed reports, and attend review
meetings as required.
• Market the Technology Gateway applied research themes and engage with industry partners to generate targeted
levels of industrial engagement and a project pipeline.
• Promote the technology gateway as a resource for local and national industry with provision of access to
expertise/resources/facilities, to include ongoing maintenance and development of the gateway website and
related marketing materials.
• Establish a company contact ‘pipeline’ and proactively manage this with the Gateway Manager on an on-going
basis utilising appropriate support tools and processes.
• Facilitate access to equipment and facilities where relevant.
Salary: €55,364 per annum
Selection will be by interview and in accordance with procedures laid down by the Department of Education and Skills. Short-listing may take place. The completed application should be submitted online not later than 12.00 noon
(Irish Local Time) on Friday 4 June 2021.
Please note: The indicative date for interviews is Friday 18 June 2021.
Please find link below:
Note: The successful candidate will undergo Garda Vetting which is a condition of employment.
The Institute does not refund expenses incurred in relation to attendance at interview.
In line with the record retention policy of this Institute, records relating to the interview process are retained for a
period of two years, at which point they are destroyed.
Letterkenny Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunities Employer